There was a months break in the number of spams hitting Facebook, Looks like they are back with a bang, Over the last two weeks I have been watching many of my friends attending Events like “The First 60,00 Attending Will Get iPad 2 for FREE” etc. These are sure shot spams that one should avoid.
Previous Facebook Spams:
- [FACEBOOK SPAM] Rofl I Cant Believe You Are Tagged in This Video
- [FACEBOOK SPAM] This Woman Has a Orgasm on a Roller Coaster! LOL
- [FACEBOOK SPAM] The World Funniest Condom Commercial – LOL
Whats the Spam All About?
The spam as like any other spams is solely depended on stupidity of Facebook Users and the Viral behavior of them makes them more effective in attaining their motives. This Spam is all about offering Facebook Users some Fake gift for which they have to complete the following steps:
- Click Attending on the Event.
- Like a USELESS SPAMMY Fanpage.
- Invite all your friends to the Event (They also claim that they can find if you have or not invited all your friends if not then you will not get the gift, Infact there is no mechanism to find if you have invited all your friends or not).
- Write the gift you want on their Wall.
After successful completion of all the above steps what you have done is not move an inch towards your FREE Gift but in reality you have infected all your true friends with the viral spam. 🙁
Whats the Motive of This Spam Event?
The main motive of these spams are to gain Fanpage likes, (Remember,they ask you to Like a Fanpage?) After they have got tons of likes they sell these Fanpages to marketers who then spam you (coz you liked the page) with their offers and products.
Other Variants of This Spam:
- The First 60,00 Attending Will Get iPhone4 for FREE
- The First 60,00 Attending Will Get Facebook Signed T-Shirts for FREE
- The First 60,00 Attending Will Get Facebook Signed Shoes for FREE
- The first 30,000 participants – Receive A FREE iPad 2 !
- etc etc..
How to Avoid and Stop These Spams?
You can be a part of the Facebook users who report and help in stopping the spams. To stop spams like these do the following:
- When you get an Invite from your friends to an Event like this, Never click on the Attending,Maybe,Not Attending. Don’t Even click Not Attending as clicking on any of the options may post the event on your wall and your friends may get fascinated and click on the event.
- Scroll down the Event page and click Report Event.
- Click Spam or Scam and Hit on Continue.
- Share this Post on Facebook (hit the like button) & Twitter (hit the tweet button) and help your friends by letting them know that its a Spam.
- You can Optionally Join our Facebook Fanpage [HERE] to get Alerted about the new spams as soon as they hit Facebook.
The above steps will help Facebook to identify such Spams and remove them. This will also help in stopping them from getting viral.