Blogs are meant for discussions and sharing knowledge and ideas, Traditional blogging is where the Author posts and the users leave their feedback via comments and shares. A new wordpress plugin takes the blogging experience to another level by allowing readers to interact with each other and the author in real time. Just similar to a conference call on any other platform.
Lets look at the details and how to implement this plugin on your wordpress based blog and interact with readers in real time.
The webapp company which provides this free video chat facility is TokBox.
The features of TokBox wordpress plugin are:
- Live presence indicator notifying you of the number of individuals currently on your site
- Quick “start a chat” button accessible only to you as the admin
- Ability to chat with 10 participants simultaneously while hundreds can watch
- Full control over who stays and who must leave
- Simple installation means your plugin is up and running in seconds
Some ideas and implementations of this wordpress plugin for a free conference calling like experience.
- To announce some breaking news either about your site or any other public news that might interest your readers.
- To conduct a Live Question and Answer (Q&A) session with your readers.
- To conduct an interview on the blog.
- To announce or organize blogger – reader meets.
How to Add Live Group Video Chats and Talk Shows on Your WordPress Blog
Step 1. Install the OpenTok Video Chat Plugin. [LINK] or Search for OpenTok Video Chat in the Plugins Repository of wordpress.
Step 2. Go to OpenTok API Page and Enter your Name , Email and check the Agree box. Click on Get API Key. (Note : No need to copy the API)
Step 3. Open WordPress Settings > OpenTok Video Chat and fill in the Name and Email Address and Accept the terms, Click on Save Changes.
Step 4. Your API will be auto generated and the changes will be saved.
Step 5. Open Homepage/Dashboard of the blog and you will see the Chat popup box in the bottom right hand corner, Click on Start a Video Chat.
Step 6. Enter a Topic that the conversation will be based on and Allow the Adobe Flash request to use Webcam and Microphone for the Video chat.
Step 7. You can Allow/Disallow participants in the chat from the Options panel, Click on ‘Yes,let them in’ to allow audience to join the chat or ‘No,not right now’ to disable Audience from engaging in the chat.
Step 8. To end a chat session, Click on End Chat.
You can send your Homepage link to the person or group with whom you want to have a Group Chat. But make sure you enable the Let them in option so that they can chat with you. If you keep it to ‘No,not now’ They will see your video but the message will be displayed as ‘Chat line is Closed’.
Hope you enjoyed the Tutorial and share your experience on using this free service on your blog.