Screenshot on mac is easy but can be confusing for newbies to mac. These screenshots can be life saving at the time of troubleshooting etc. This post will guide you through to take screenshot on mac.
This Guide will show you many methods to take screenshot on mac.
Shortcuts for Mac – Shortcuts Keys to Take Screenshot on Mac.
To Save the Screenshots on Mac in a File on Desktop
- Pressing ‘Command-Shift-3‘ will take a screenshot of the screen, and save the file on desktop.
- First Press ‘Command-Shift-4‘ , then select an area that you want to take screenshot of then the file will be saved on desktop.
- Press ‘Command-Shift-4‘, then ‘space‘, then click a window: will take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop.
To Save the Screenshot on Mac in Clipboard.
- Pressing ‘Command-Control-Shift-3‘ will take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard.
- Press ‘Command-Control-Shift-4‘, then select an area this will take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard.
- Press ‘Command-Control-Shift-4’, then space, then click a window this will take a screen grab mac of a window and save it to the clipboard.
The above combinations will work on all MACs but for Leopard, The following will also work.
- Space, to lock the size of the selected region and instead move it when the mouse moves.
- Shift, to resize only one edge of the selected region.
- Option, to resize the selected region with its center as the anchor point.
Different MAC OS X have different formats for the screenshot on mac. (Though this can be changed via the terminal)
- MAC OS X – Jaguar – .JPEG Format
- MAC OS X – Panther – .PDF Format
- MAC OS X – Tiger & Later – .PNG Format
Taking Screenshot on Mac with Grab Utility.
Utility Name : Grab Utility
Utility Location : /Applications/Utilities/Grab
- Run the Application (Utility) from /Applications/Utilities/Grab. [The app runs from Menu Bar]
- When you click the Capture Button, you will be presented with 4 options.
- Selection – Select an area and take the screenshot.
- Window – Take the screenshot of a window.
- Screen – Take screenshot of the current screen.
- Screen with Delay – Set a delay of 10sec before the entire screen is captured.
- Save the screenshot on mac by going to File > Save > Select the format.
Third Party Applications to Take Screenshot on mac.
There are many freely available third party softwares to take screenshot on mac. These can be used for more advanced tasks like editing etc. Some of them are listed below.
- Jing – Great for screen shots, video recording and has an extremely useful online sharing feature.
- Snapz Pro X – is very popular and can even record movies. It has a large range of features, and is shareware.
- SnapNDrag – is also popular and offers several features in addition to those offered by the default screen capture tools. With SnapNDrag, users take a screenshot, then drag it to their destination. SnapNDrag is freeware, but also has a pro version.
- Screen Mimic – is shareware that can be used to record animations of your desktop to .swf files for tutorials, software demonstrations, etc.