Facebook has once again upgraded its chat and for the dismay of its users once again it failed to understand what its users want. But soon users will get accustomed to it as it did for the new Facebook Photo Viewer. :/ The new chat sidebar has more disadvantages than that of advantages.
I personally did not like the new Chat Sidebar due to the following reasons:
Disadvantages of the New Facebook Chat:
- You have to manually disable the Sidebar Chat every time you login.
- Shows only a list of people you interact the most even if they are offline.
- Unordered list of people online and offline. They are not sorted in any manner.
How to Revert to the Old Facebook Chat.
- Login to your Facebook Account.
- Open a new Tab.
- Open this link : http://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php
- You will get back the old style chat with lists and Online Offline sorted out.
The disadvantage of the above method is that you have to open the Chat in a new tab everytime. There is an easier way for the Lazy 😉 Load it in Firefox Sidebar.
How to Load Old Facebook Chat in Firefox Sidebar.
- Open Firefox. Click Bookmarks in the Toolbar (Press Alt in Firefox 5).
- Click Organize Bookmarks.
- Click New Bookmark and Enter fill in as follows
- Name : Facebook Chat
- URL : http://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php
- Check Load this Bookmark in sidebar.
- Press Ctrl + B to load the Firefox Sidebar and Click on the Facebook Chat to chat from your sidebar.
[Update 27-07-2011 ] Another Method to Load the Old Facebook Chat.
- Install Greasemonkey and restart the browser.
- Install this Script. [LINK]
- Refresh Facebook Homepage.
[Update 30-07-2011] New Method To Get Back The Old Facebook Chat.
Install the following Addons on your respective browsers.
Instant Hide Button for New Facebook Chat
There is a greasemonkey script to order the chat and display the Hide Button in the new Facebook Chat.
- Open Firefox and install the Greasemonkey Add on from Here : [LINK]
- Restart Firefox.
- Go to this page and Click Install. [LINK]
- Refresh Firefox and you will be able to see the Hide Button.
Thats it done, You can now go back and implement the methods.
Do share this post via the Facebook Share,Tweet and +1 Buttons so your friends can also get back the Old Chat.