Changing webhosts and waiting for DNS Propagation is a nightmare for Webmasters and bloggers, They have to experience downtime if not done properly along with many other difficulties.
If you are changing hosts and want to edit your website before it goes online then this guide is for you.
Many people don’t know that they can access their website while the DNS is being propagated. Especially if you have a time target for launching your website and there is lots of editing left on the website then you dont have to wait for 24-72 Hours for your website to become live and then start editing.
How to Check Website when DNS Propagation is Occuring?
- Copy your Nameservers to clipboard.
- Go to this website: Hostnametoip.
- Paste the Nameservers in the Hostname field.
- Press Convert to IP.
- Copy the IP Address to clipboard.
- In your computer browse to this location:
- Now double click the Hosts file and open it with Notepad.
- Paste the IP Address in a new line.
- Press Spacebar and enter your Domain Name.
- Now save the notepad and clear your browser history and cookies before your dns propagation has occured your browser saves cache of your previous address.
- Open Command Prompt and enter “ipconfig/flushdns” followed by “ipconfig/registerdns“, This will clear your DNS Cache.
- Now Open browser and browse to your site and you will be able to open the website without DNS Propagation.
- After you finish your work make sure you delete the line from hosts file or add a “#” in front of the IP Adress to disable it.